According to the latest Global Peace Index update, Costa Rica is considered the safest country in Latin America. It’s also the most peaceful country in Central America with a low violent crime rate and high political stability.
Costa Rica is the only country in the world that has no army.
Thus, for those still wondering, yes, Costa Rica is very safe.
LATEST UPDATES / NEWS from COSTA RICA:
January 12 – Costa Rica’s murder rate reaches a record high, as drug-related gang violence soars
Costa Rica, long regarded as the safest country in the region, suffered a fresh blow on Tuesday when authorities revealed that the nation had recorded its bloodiest year in 2023 as the homicide rate surged, driven primarily by surging violence linked to drug trafficking gangs.
The country saw 907 homicides in 2023, an increase of 38% from the year before.
According to Security Minister Mario Zamora murder rates in Costa Rica are approaching all-time highs due to the influence of Mexican drug gangs and rising cocaine production in Colombia.
“The trend of settling scores increased to 70%, a figure that we had not had before,” stated Zuniga, pledging to lower the number of homicides by 2024.
U.S. Travel Advisory – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution
Exercise increased caution in Costa Rica due to crime.
While violent crime, such as armed robberies, homicides, and sexual assaults, is rare in Costa Rica, minor crime is the main threat to tourists visiting the country. In tourist-heavy areas, the Costa Rican government strengthens security resources.
Safety measures to keep in mind:
- Do not engage in physical resistance to any robbery attempt.
- Keep an eye on your surroundings
- Do not show signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier for rescuers to find you.
- When visiting abroad, Americans should always be cautious.
- Follow the State Department on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Review Costa Rica’s country safety report.
- Prepare a contingency plan in case an emergency occurs. Check out the checklist for travelers.
Why travel to Costa Rica
1. Puerto Viejo
This Caribbean coast is popular among young people and backpackers because of its great beaches, surfing, and party atmosphere. In the town, nearby visitors will find some fun activities going on every…
Read full article: Is COSTA RICA Safe? Travel Advisory 2024
The post “Is COSTA RICA Safe? Travel Advisory 2024” by Daniela Kaňková was published on 01/12/2024 by www.travelinglifestyle.net